Kellehers Australia has always proudly maintained it’s quiet, unobtrusive pro bono work.
Over the last decade, this included supporting Aboriginal Australians, a group of Australians who face deep difficulties in accessing quality legal services. Working tirelessly in and out of the court for Indigenous rights, we renew focus on the laws ability to assist and reinvigorate communities.We also provide pro bono assistance to a number of religious, disability, educational and not-for-profit organisations.
In 2015 Kellehers Australia took on more pro bono work than ever before, leading the field in several unprecedented test cases. Our small but dedicated legal team have completed in excess of $160,000 of pro bono work.
At Kellehers, we understand the importance of recognising areas of significance where we have a duty to ensure species are protected, social impact is properly considered and cultural heritage is recorded and remembered and we take it upon ourselves to do so on a pro bono basis where required.
Our Aboriginal Australian pro bono achievements include:
- Major Federal Court ‘test case’ concerning natural justice in native title administration.
- Successful resolution of complex issues concerning Crown Land – leases, licences.
- Advise on complex Native Title agreements & ILUA agreements.
- Major nomination documentation for National Heritage listing of Aboriginal Country.
- Presenting nationally and internationally at conferences on the issues of story & silence, trust and regulatory change.
- Police matters for Indigenous Australians.
- Submissions to Ministers, Government & multiple review bodies concerning Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (VIC), Aboriginal Lands Trust Act 1966 (SA), Native Title Act 1993(Commonwealth) and other significant proposed law change.
- Research and submissions regarding Regulatory Impact Assessment of Native Title Act 1993.
Other Pro Bono
- Conservation Management Plans
- Challenging Government decisions regarding habitat for Protected Species
- Test case for significant social effect Rutherford v Hume City Council v Ed Cuma Architects
- Working alongside Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) to adapt its in-house Check-Lists
- Determining Sovereign Hill Gold Commissioners Camp
- Successful Associations Incorporation documentation and advice.
- Advice concerning creation of companies limited by guarantee.
- Successful tax deductibility applications.
- Advising regarding the concept of a ‘charity’ and linkage with the law concerning public benevolent institutions.
- Establishment of trusts and management of gifts and bequests.